Sunday 9 October 2011

Silk Tofu with white grapes, ginger and pine nuts


This is a personal thank you note for Valérie Lhomme.
'Who's that girl?' you'll probably been asking yourselves.
Valérie is a talented recipe developer, food stylist and photographer, and I've been quite obsessed with her work lately. I like her innovative style, easy-to-do recipes and awesome pictures... just in case you want to know more about her you can click here, or visit here.

I'd love to share with you one of Mrs Lhomme recipe I've recently found in Marie Claire Idees- September 2010 issue, a magazine I bought almost one year ago and ended up on the library shelf, almost forgetten I have to confess, until a couple of days ago, when I came back from the super market carrying 4 lbs of grapes, trying to figure out how could I possibly consume those white and purple grapes before other members of the family came back home and sacked the fruit basket (we do love grapes, here).

Valérie contributed to this Marie Claire Idees issue with an article packed with excellent ideas: 'Grapes and Red Onions Tart', 'Caramelized Grapes with Sesam Seeds', 'Grapes, Pear, Apple and Raisin Crumble' and some other treats I will try out one day or the other.
The 'Silk Tofu with Grapes&Ginger' recipe was the one that really struck me, though. Probably because I love the ingredients, or because I haven't tought of such a combination yet, before stumbling into this recipe. Who knows?

The main ingredient of this starter dish is silk tofu, a japanese quality of tofu. It's consistency is softener than the regular one, with a creamy texture and a delicate flavour, which makes it perfect to cook vegan desserts (it can also be used as a yolk substitute in baking).
We usually eat it japanese style, with thin cucumber slices, wakame seaweed, sesame seeds and soy sauce, but I welcomed the idea of trying out a variation on this theme: Valerie's recipe really appealed to me, so I only added a nutty note to the plate, giving an extra bit of flavour, balancing the sweetness of apple and grapes, I guess.

So here is my own personal version, hope you'll relish this refreshing appetizer too!



Ingredients:

silk tofu: 260 gr - 9 oz.
white grapes: 12
fresh ginger root: 2 cm - 0,80 inch.
apple: 1/2
pine nuts: 2 tablespoons - slightly roasted
soy sauce: 4 tablespoons
water + lemon juice

for garnish:

leeks or spring onion ring
marjoram or thyme leaves

Wash the raisins, split them in twos and deseed them. Reserve.
Peel and grate the ginger root. Mix it with the raisins in a small bowl.
Wash the 1/2 apple, remove central core and seeds. Thinly slice it and reserve (sprinkle with lemon juice to avoid oxidation). Cut the silk tofu into four parts and display each of them on an individual plate or in a small bowl. Distribute the grapes and ginger mix on the silk tofu, then add a couple of apple silces and some roasted pine nuts. Garnish with leeks or spring onion rings, marjoram or thyme leaves. Season with soy sauce, according to taste.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...